The Palais, built in 1820, served as the residence of Queen Frederica of Sweden. In 1850 the Bath Endowment Fund came into being, which had been created to build up the city's infrastructure. Under casino tenant Edouard Bénazet, it became a meeting place for the rich and famous. Thanks to the commitment of Festspielhaus donor Wolfgang Grenke, the building was revived to host events. The GRENKE Foundation opened the Museum of Art and Technology of the 19th Century here in 2009.